Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Summer of the Great-Grandmother, by Madeleine L'Engle



I wish I could still find a graphic of the cover art for the edition of this book that I have.
I store my letter that I got from Madeleine in 1990, in my copy of this book. My mom died in 1990 but the letter is dated several months after that.
This book overall was very comforting -- as I think I started reading it at some point when my mom was sick and perhaps after she had moved home with us.
L'Engle talks in this book about what it was like to spend her mother's last summer, with her in their house at Crosswicks, with all the generations - grandchildren, etc.

She writes about the mom she knew, and what she knows about her mom's life before she was born, and how the two differ, and about how hard it was for her when her mom sometimes seemed to be there, and be her mom, and sometimes was somewhere else. (Her mother was declining due to Alzheimer's).

No comments: