Sunday, October 14, 2007

The Falling Woman, by Pat Murphy



I am resurrecting my blogging habit here since I'm also keeping my iRead app on Facebook updated.
This is Pat's Nebula-winning novel -- it's been often described as more mystic realism than science fiction, but I enjoyed it quite a bit.
I could not remember for sure if I had read this already or not. There is some sort of parental abandonment/early loss thread that is certainly present here (although it doesn't speak to me as resoundly as "The City, Not Long After" does.
Here Elizabeth leaves her daughter Diane to go off and be an archeologist.

In "The City" Jax's mom actually does die, but her spirit still seems present in San Francisco, and it appears that in "The Wild Girls" -- Fox's mom inexplicably leaves her and her dad. Fox believes that her mom must have turned into a fox.

No comments: