Thursday, October 18, 2007

Off Mike: A Memoir of Talk Radio and Literary Life by Michael Krasny



I just bought this book on Sunday morning when hanging around at Kepler's while Dave was working in Menlo Park nearby.
I got up to the counter to ring it up, and the guy said, "Are you going to the event?"

"What event?"

He points at the huge sign to the left of the counter. Michael Krasny, host of KQED's Forum (ie my constant companion if I'm in the car from 9 am to 11 am, and I often listen to the podcasts other times) - was discussing the book, the next day, Monday.

But I had to be at focus groups at work so I couldn't make it. Nicely, the Kepler's guy offers that they'll have Krasny sign it to me.

I just picked it up today, and was reading it tonight after bringing pizza to Dave, at work tonight too. He had written, "To Solveig - Best wishes for a good life with good books and good listening!"
All the "goods" were underlined. It's pretty cool - seems like he could be a bit more original with his adjectives, but I'm not complaining. I haven't finished the book yet. Maybe this is an inside joke.

It's kind of fun to read about some of his interviews, like his early one with Gore Vidal, that didn't go so well. He usually sounds so prepared and put-together on the radio, it's quite amazing. Also he manages to make the book, at least in the first part I've read before he meets his wife, a little bit spicy! I was surprised.

No comments: