Thursday, February 24, 2005

Solveig's Polysyllabic Spree - February

In Homage to Nick Hornby's columns:

February 2005 (Feb. 22 on)
Books Bought:

  • The Polysyllabic Spree, by Nick Hornby. Bought on Feb. 22 at 826 Valencia Pirate Store. Signed up for Children's Book Writing and Publishing Seminar for Kari and I.
  • Talking Back: What Students Know by the students of Leadership High School in conjunction with 826 Valencia. Also purchased at the Pirate Store. I then walked down Valencia looking for a bathroom and for The Time Traveller's Wife. I stopped at Modern Times Bookstore, found a bathroom and also found The Time Traveller's Wife, but it was a new copy.
  • Continued on down the street and stopped at DogEared Books where I found The Time Traveller's Wife used. Blog to come when I read it. I was also looking for Pat Murphy and Lisa Goldstein but did not find them even in the fantasy bookstore that is also on this street.
  • How to Make Your Child a Reader for Life by Paul Kropp. I also bought this at DogEared Books as research for teaching literacy to families. But then the next day I missed the tutoring orientation for the literacy program because my job interview went too long! When buying the DogEared books, I realized that I had left the other 2 books in the bathroom at Modern Times, so I went back up and got them on the way back to the car.
  • E-Learning Book by Michael Allen - I don't remember the exact name of this book but I ordered it because I was going to apply for a job at Allen Interactions (the company founded by Michael Allen). It looks good but I haven't applied for the job yet so the book may be less practically useful than I thought.
  • The City, Not Long After by Pat Murphy. Ended up checking this out from the library to reread as I could not find it used on Valencia
  • Dark Cities Underground and Travellers in Magic by Lisa Goldstein - also checked out from the library with the Murphy book on Thursday. I started reading Dark Cities sitting on the floor in the library stacks because I was so curious about how in the world she is going to blend children's stories, BART, etc. It is really cool - she also has Egyptian deities in the book as well.
  • The Sign of the Book by John Dunning - I found a signed copy of this at "A Clean, Well Lighted Place for Books" while attending the SARK reading Friday 2/25, there. Dave and I really like the Bookman series but neither of us knew this one had been published. So it was a good surprise for Dave. I also bought another copy of SARK's Creative Dreams book to serve as a present for someone else.


Books Read:

  • Nick Hornby's Polysyllabic Spree
  • Talking Back I just finished on 2/25 and about to blog it...
  • New Yorker - I have a free subscription from KQED membership and have been reading it religiously along with the Newsweek free subscription.
  • Library books get priority so the Goldstein books may be next. I still need to find Moominsummer madness and return to library... sigh...
  • Dark Cities Underground by Lisa Goldstein - 2/26
  • Travelers in Magic by Lisa Goldstein - 2/27
  • The City Not Long After by Lisa Goldstein - 2/28

No comments: