Monday, February 28, 2005

The City Not Long After by Pat Murphy




The City Not Long After: Buy on Amazon

This book cover is from the Blackstone audiobook and I like it even more than the cover on the library copy that I've now checked out and read at least twice. I also like the new cover on the paperback version also.

This is one of my favorite books - I first read it in 2002 and just re-read it again since I am on a "Brazen Hussies" kick along with the Lisa Goldstein books.
I used the main character's name - "Jax" as my name on the Bookcrossing website.

There's something about this book that I really identify with - hmm - a motherless girl comes to San Francisco as a teenager, not having ever been there before, meets many very interesting people, finds an identity for herself, and falls in love with the area and the people.
Luckily for us all in the Bay Area, the book's events have not yet come true completely -- in the book San Francisco has been the victim of a pandemic disease, around the time Jax was born, leaving very few people who were immune. The peace-loving city now faces an invasion by an army from the Sacramento/Modesto/Fresno area (General Miles, known to the citizens as "Fourstar") and strikes back in its own brand of Gandhi-esque guerrila "fighting."

And on top of all that, the Golden Gate Bridge is being painted blue by the city's individualist artisans! What more can you ask for in a book?

Plus, this should be read along with Armistead Maupin's Tales of the City for an entertaining and varied intro to SF for travelers/new residents.
Also see Margaret Atwood's Oryx and Crake, mentioned earlier in the February blogs, for more post-apocalyptic "fun."

No comments: