Wednesday, February 23, 2005

The Polysyllabic Spree by Nick Hornby


I love reading Nick Hornby's work (High Fidelity, About a Boy, How to Be Good) and in this book I get to read about what _he's_ reading.

This is a collection of columns from The Believer magazine: "A Hilarious and True Account of One Man's Struggle with the Monthly Tide of the Books he's Bought and the Books He's Been Meaning To Read."

It's like his book/CD package: "Songbook" in that you get to peek into his reading appetite and see where it goes. I especially like looking in the "Books Bought" column for one month and then looking to see if he ever actually read that book later on. He did buy a couple books that I also have, most of which he didn't yet get to!

"I'm beginning to see that our appetite for books is the same as our appetite for food, that our brain tells us when we need the literary equivalent of salads or chocolate, or meat and potatoes."


Hornby also said "I hate Amazon reviewers, even the nice ones..." so I was going to go post a review on Amazon that just says something like "Hornby hates Amazon reviewers so I'm not going to review this book. But I loved it."

Seeing that there are already at least 12 Amazon reviews and at least one of them alluded to the "hate reviewers" comment - I kept quiet.

No comments: