Friday, February 11, 2005

Prey by Michael Crichton

We were at the library and I saw this book and got hooked on it once I started reading.
Like most of Crichton's other books it is very gripping and quite scary. This one is about swarms of nanotechnology "insects" (man-made with biological additions that allow them to now learn, reproduce, and even imitate the human body).

It's set here in Mountain View - as the protagonist and his wife both work for Mountain View based sketchy Silicon Valley companies - his company programmed the code for the swarm which her company then bought (unbeknownst to him) and started using it to make these actual swarms (first they were to be used for military cameras).

I think I finished by the morning after I checked it out -- I read it that night and then took it to breakfast at the local bagel place and read it there and finished it there. Very hard to put down!

No comments: