Sunday, May 24, 2009

rhubarb pie at WisCon (yay we did not eat Nisi's pie!)

Very happy to be at right place, right time (both always seem to be the case when getting the chance to hang out with Pat at WisCon) -- for an impromptu rhubarb pie offered by Geoff Ryman.

One thing I noticed this morning - that group was not talking about their work or really much about writing specifically at all, just hanging out.
I was thinking of stuff I could have said this morning - I was looking at my earlier post about the 2008 anthology and remembering how much I liked KJF's story "The Last Worders".

But in that group, same feeling as when standing near Pat when talking to Cory Doctorow - it's not a place for the superficial fandom of "oh, i love such and such! You are the best since sliced bread!"
-- it's just "Hey, here we are sitting on a couch in a hotel hallway."

Not sure if Karen really has ever met me. It was nice to see her, since last year I had not read anything of hers, and now I've at least read "The Jane Austen Book Club" and the short story mentioned above.

I don't remember actually talking to her last year, and Pat probably assumes that we have met (since when she does introduce me to people, like Liz Henry, sometimes I know them).

Karen read out loud an excerpt from Laurell K Hamilton (that she found online using Pat's laptop) and there was much amused disdain (of Hamilton). Interesting and sad that the romance genre is so popular, and some of it is good, but more of it isn't so much.

No comments: