Saturday, March 04, 2006

Women on Writing Conference, Pat Murphy

I am really jazzed right now because I just went to a "Women on
Writing" conference today and got to meet one of my favorite authors,
Pat Murphy. I did also get many other books signed and heard Janice Mirikitani but I want to give her her own blog entry after I have actually read her book I bought.

Here's the blog spiel I wrote here about Pat Murphy's book The City Not Long After...
Here's her
biblio/awards page
She is awesome!

I had finally found a copy of this book (The City Not Long After) in a
used bookstore after looking for it hither and yon(I hear a paperback edition is coming
out this spring) and so I emailed her since she lives in the Bay Area
to see if she would be signing somewhere since I now finally have a book of my own to sign, and she told me she would be speaking
and signing books at the conference, so I decided to go, especially
since it was on my birthday.

It was very inspirational, I had told her it was my birthday so she
actually brought another one of her books for me as a present (although I didn't take it because it was the collection of short stories that Dave gave me initially that got me started reading her work.) The workshop that she led was also very productive, I actually have a little germ of a plot that I did not have yesterday, as she led us through the questions she asks herself when getting started on a new writing idea.

It was so nice to actually have an extended conversation instead of my
usual tongue-tied talking at book signings, where I usually say only:
"Thank you so much for coming... my name is Solveig - yes, pronounced
Sol-vay...yes it is a Norwegian name...I really like your work.
Bye..."

It also turns out there's an additional connection in that we have some common interests in the game industry . . .

No comments: