Saturday, March 18, 2006

His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman


His Dark Materials (paperback trilogy): Buy on Amazon!

I first read these at least a year ago but reading Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell made me think of Philip Pullman.
Both have very believable worlds that incorporate magic, fantasy, and in His Dark Materials, almost a whole alternate version of our world.

The whole concept of daemons as being extensions of your personality and unique only to you - I read a quote from Philip Pullman where he said kids were writing to him saying that after reading this they felt that they have their own daemons, and he pointed out, we all do. (If you have not read the book, these daemons are not evil "demons" - they're more like very intelligent familars which are there to help each person, augment their strengths, etc).

I haven't read this recently so I can't go on and on about it but the characters of Lyra and Iorek Bjornson are probably my favorites.

No comments: