Sunday, March 20, 2005

Good Faith by Jane Smiley

I read this during the March hiatus from the blog - it was from the library.
Jane Smiley is really good at depicting realistic and complicated families, especially with an idiosyncratic patriarch. Gordon, one of the supporting characters in this book and father of the woman that the prototagonist is having an affair with, is one of these interesting patriarchs.
He's a more benevolent one than the father in "A Thousand Acres" though.
There's a lot of real estate wheeling and dealing in this book, which at times can get a little bit tedious. Maybe I don't connect to it as well as I think I connect to the farming in A thousand acres, even though I haven't lived on a farm or ever bought any real estate.
The book seemed to end pretty abruptly although it was long and dragged a bit in the middle. It was enjoyable but not sure I would re-read it...

No comments: