Wednesday, October 25, 2006

The Green Glass Sea by Ellen Klages

Buy on Amazon!

I completely loved this book - I think I was one of the first to buy it at Borderlands on Valencia in SF as they hadn't yet put it out on the shelves and I had brought up the postcard to them, asking "Do you have this here yet?"
Then I took it home and read it all afternoon. I was sad when I was done just because the main character, Dewey is such a great character - had I read it when I was younger or if I read any slower, I would be able to live with the character longer.
The story is about Dewey and Suze, two girls growing up at the Los Alamos site, in the midst of all the top scientific minds building the bomb. Dewey gets to talk to Nels Bohr just randomly on the street for an hour about her scientific projects, for example.

From the very beginning, where Dewey is coming on the train to New Mexico but she doesn't know where exactly she's going because of the secrecy around the war, I was hooked in. Details like her experience of the sleeper seats and the observation car reminded me of our trip across Canada in 1987 from Banff to Vancouver.
Anyway, I won't go on any longer about it. It's an awesome book, for everyone (not just for kids). I'm happy for once that we eavesdropped on Ellen as she sat behind us at the Neil Gaiman event, otherwise I might not have known about her (unless PM happened to tell me).

No comments: